Top 100 Sports Plays of 2018 (Part 3)
PART 1 PART 2 PART 3 PART 4
Welcome back to the top 100 plays of 2018! If you're looking for parts one, two, or four, click the links above. In part three, we'll be taking a look at entries 49-26.
49. 11/25- Chris Carson does flip over defender
Seattle Seahawks vs. Carolina Panthers
It's one thing to jump over a guy, it's quite another to finish the flip and land on your feet and keep going. *Cues Super Mario jump sound effect*
48. 10/20- Chris Taylor saves some runs with great running catch
National League Championship Series, Game 7
Los Angeles Dodgers vs. Milwaukee Brewers
With NL MVP Christian Yelich at the dish and the tying run at second, things looked pretty hairy for the Dodgers. Enter: Chris Young.
47. 10/23- Marchand and Pastrnak make mincemeat of the Senators with great passing
Boston Bruins vs. Ottawa Senators
"In your face!" - Jack Edwards, noting the fantastic moves of Brad Marchand and David Pastrnak.
I'd say that's pretty apt for this one.
46. 9/1- TJ Vasher’s Odell Beckham Jr.-like catch
Texas Tech Red Raiders vs. Ole Miss Rebels
Odell would be proud of this one, as TJ Vasher goes airborne and stays in bounds for a fantastic catch.
45. 6/3- Steph Curry hits loooooong three to beat shot clock
NBA Finals, Game 2
Golden State Warriors vs. Cleveland Cavaliers
When the shot clock winds down to zero, some players fire up desperation threes. If you're Stephen Curry, you throw up J's like you're at the Y and you drain them.
44. 7/12- Mookie Betts finishes 13-pitch AB with grand slam
Boston Red Sox vs. Toronto Blue Jays
Mookie Betts is the American League MVP for a reason. He takes a thirteen pitch at bat and deposits the last one over the Green Monster for an electrifying grand slam. I'm tellin' ya, it's time to party!
43. 1/2- Carter Hutton is able to recover and make save on bouncing puck
St. Louis Blues vs. New Jersey Devils
This save is absurd. Hutton is able to make one save, then bring his left leg forward in order to block a rebound and keep the puck out of the net. This is all about the yoga here.
42. 11/25- Joel Embiid shakes defender, does alley oop to himself of the glass
Philadelphia 76ers vs. Brooklyn Nets
THE DISRESPECT, JOEL EMBIID. No regard for human life on this one.
41. 2/10- Andrei Vasilevskiy makes behind the back glove save
Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Los Angeles Kings
Okay, Andrei, now you're just showing off. He's already going to win the Vezina in 2019, but making saves like this, behind your back?? WE GET IT. YOU'RE A GOOD GOALIE.
40. 10/13- Reliever Brandon Woodruff homers off Clayton Kershaw
National League Championship Series, Game 1
Milwaukee Brewers vs. Los Angeles Dodgers
Clayton Kershaw is a good pitcher. Relievers typically don't get to hit at all, much less get hits. So you can imagine my surprise when I saw that a RELIEVER hit a home run against Clayton Kershaw in the first game of the NLCS. Purely epic.
39. 10/27- N’Keal Harry makes one-handed catch from his back
Arizona State Sun Devils vs. USC Trojans
Homeboy is literally ON HIS BACK while he makes this one-handed grab. Eat your heart out, Odell Beckham. You have competition.
38. 8/12- David Bote’s pinch-hit, walk off grand slam lifts Cubs over Nationals
Chicago Cubs vs. Washington Nationals
Aside from the obvious "home run to win the World Series," I think the "down by three, walk-off grand slam" is the most home run in baseball. Watch as David Bote comes off the bench for an epic walk-off grand slam for the Cubs.
37. 7/4- Keon Broxton robs Brian Dozier of a home run
Milwaukee Brewers vs. Minnesota Twins
Keon Broxton goes over the fence, and I mean waaaaay over in order to make this snocone grab. Also, fun fact, this game happened on the Fourth of July. Hooray, America!
36. 12/12- Niven Glover throws down crazy dunk
Oak Ridge vs. Edgewater
My high school only ever had one guy who was just tall enough to dunk. This high schooler from Texas, Niven Glover, goes between his legs for a rim-rattling dunk.
35. 5/16- Marc-Andre Fleury denies Mark Scheifele twice to preserve lead
Western Conference Finals, Game 3
Vegas Golden Knights vs. Winnipeg Jets
What a year it was for Marc-Andre Fleury, carrying the Golden Knights to the Stanley Cup Final. Here, he stops Mark Scheifele on not one, but two shot attempts.
34. 3/3- Julian McGarvey makes the steal and hits 75-footer to win Sectional Championship
Ardsley (NY) vs. Tappan Zee (NY)
To nail a long buzzer-beater is one thing. To intercept a pass, and then quarterback a 75-foot buzzer-beater is quite another. Julian McGarvey does just that, winning the New York sectional championship for Ardsley.
33. 9/29- Davion Davis one handed catch
Central Arkansas Bears vs. Sam Houston State Bearkats
What makes this one-handed catch better than the other one-handed grabs on this list (and there are a lot of them)?
It's because Davion Davis makes what is essentially a backhanded one-handed grab.
32. 5/30- Braden Holtby lays out for paddle save to keep game close
Stanley Cup Final, Game 2
Washington Capitals vs. Vegas Golden Knights
It has become known in hockey as "The Save." In a 3-2 game, with the Caps on the verge of evening the Stanley Cup Final, Braden Holtby made this incredible save on Alex Tuch to keep the game in hand.
31. 11/24- Kendrick Rogers one-handed grab to extend game in 3OT
Texas A&M Aggies vs. LSU Tigers
This game was absolutely bonkers. Seven overtimes. But in the third overtime, Kendrick Rogers made THIS catch to extend the game. He was pretty much the MVP, and for good reason.
30. 12/13- Andrei Vasilevskiy make the crazy scorpion save
Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Toronto Maple Leafs
When the announcers think the other team has scored and they haven't, that means you've done something right. Andrei Vasilevskiy somehow gets a piece of the puck by lifting his skate up and denying a goal.
29. 7/29- Jackie Bradley, Jr. makes running grab and crashes into Green Monster
Boston Red Sox vs. Minnesota Twins
Jackie Bradley is a crazy good outfielder. And this could be a potentially scary play since he tumbles into the big wall out there in centerfield.
28. 12/1- Celtics and Marcus Smart make incredible passes for Jayson Tatum finish
Boston Celtics vs. Minnesota Timberwolves
Basketball is a team sport. Basketball is a team sport. Basketball is a team sport. Also, Marcus Smart should be the highest-paid Celtic in history.
27. 10/19- Anthony DuClair falls down, still manages to finish and score
Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Philadelphia Flyers
Anthony Duclair blows a tire, and then pulls out ALL the hands to coral the puck and score on this ridiculous goal. Now you're just showing off, because this is absurd.
26. 3/11- LeBron filthy no-look pass to Kevin Love fakes out the Lakers
Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Los Angeles Lakers
Yes, in 2018 LeBron played for the Cavaliers. And he faked literally everyone on his future team out with this incredible pass to Kevin Love, who finishes for two.
Only one more part to go! Click the link to see the top 25!
<<< PREV: Part 2 (75-50) NEXT: Part 4 (25-1) >>>
Be sure to check out the rest of According to Andrew's Best of 2018 spread by clicking HERE.